In Georgia, driving under the influence of alcohol or drugs is a serious offense that can lead to an arrest, possible jail time, counseling classes, license revocation and other serious criminal penalties.
A DUI conviction can have negative consequences that reverberate throughout your life, impacting your education and future employment. If you have been charged with a DUI for the first time, you should leave nothing to chance. By hiring an Athens DUI attorney, you can fight your charges and protect your future.
How To Fight Your First DUI Charge In Athens
Georgia has harsh penalties for those convicted of a DUI. However, there are ways in which a DUI sentence can be mitigated or reduced. For example, you may be able to seek a reduced sentence in one of the following ways.
- DUI first-offender program – Like many states, Georgia runs a first-offender program that provides defendants an opportunity to reduce or avoid some consequences that arise from a DUI conviction. Usually, this program has qualification requirements and won't accept drivers whose cases involve severe injuries or high blood alcohol concentrations.
- Charge reduction – Also, you can make a plea for a reduced charge. This option is only available in specific circumstances. For example, your previous criminal history plays a significant role in determining your ability to receive a lesser charge.
- Fight a DUI charge – You do not have to plead guilty to a DUI charge. In fact, you have a right to fight the charges in court. There are several possible defenses to a DUI charge, such as challenging the legality of a traffic stop to questioning the reliability of a field sobriety test.
The Benefits of Hiring an Experienced Athens DUI Defense Attorney
If you have been charged with a first-time DUI, it may seem like the evidence is stacked against you. You believe that you are out of options. While it may be tempting to simply plead guilty and move on, you should seriously consider working with an experienced DUI attorney. Benefits include:
- Protection against hefty penalties - DUI cases usually attract numerous hidden penalties and unknown consequences that only an experienced attorney can identify.
- Mitigating DUI sentencing – DUI judgments remain your criminal history and may affect your present and future livelihood. An attorney will build a solid defense to reduce the charges.
- Interpret the complex DUI laws – Your DUI case hinges on why you were pulled over, how your BAC was determined, and what evidence the arresting officer had that you were driving under the influence. While it is easy to focus on a single number (your BAC), there are many other factors that can impact the State’s case against you. A DUI attorney can challenge the evidence against you and present your case persuasively in court.
Need Help With Your DUI? Contact Athens DUI Attorney Ryan J. Swingle
Drinking and driving is a serious crime. If you are a first-time offender, you're at risk of harsh punishment. We will stand by your side to help you build a strong DUI defense to reduce your sentence. Please get in touch with us now to find out how we can help with your case.